Friday, June 5, 2009

Searching for Mr.Darcy


Pride & Prejudice is one of the best stories ever told and one of my favorite movies. But how often do women long to be like Elizabeth Bennett; to be plucked out of a crowd and loved completely by a man like Mr.Darcy? How often do we find ourselves longing or searching for our own Mr.Darcy? I think the answer is ALL THE TIME.The idea was brought up by Ms. Huckaby who is writing a screenplay on the concept. But the funny part is that while we long to find our Mr.Darcy, isn't it up to him to find us?

Not that I'm knocking feminism but more often than not I know women who want to pursue men, to be on the chase...more like hunt. Women are powerful and we can do anything but I wonder if we have forgotten how to do nothing? Its a gift that we have women who take charge, that work, cook, clean, raise kids single-handed. Give her an extra round of applause if she has a husband! But I wonder, as a woman, instead of always doing something- can't I just do nothing and be pursued for once? Can't I be romanced for once without it being an assault on woman's rights? I like having doors opened, compliments and flowers. I like poetry and chocolate. I like love songs, and for those guys who think all that is too much, just knowing that I am appreciated and they enjoy my company is wonderful enough. I'm just tired of searching for Mr.Darcy and for once I want him to find me. Granted it may not happen on my time table cause only God knows when, but I hope that love would be just as radiant as when Darcy came in the mist at the break of dawn longing and searching for Elizabeth who was waiting for him.

No comments:

Post a Comment